Thursday, April 16, 2009

psalms

I am a huge fan of Jon Acuff's blogging and often it gets me thinking ... I don't usually comment because I feel like it is silly since if it is read, it is most likely read by people who don't know me.

You may not know me, but it is much more likely that you do, so I thought this would be a better place to post such things.

Today he asked what books of the bible terrify you and I replied James didn't (a fact I credit in part to John Fooshe - one of my high school youth pastors as it was his unapologetic favorite) but sometimes the psalms terrify me.

They are emotional and so human - and lets be honest some of the sentiments expressed are more than shocking in their violence and self righteousness. Really what scares me about the psalms is how they are so many of the things I fear.

I may be one of the most obscenely emotional people on the planet - I definitely feel that way sometimes. And I hate it. Not for good reasons, not even for particularly logical reasons but I do.

And the psalms are chock full of emotion, and they don't always make sense (which I suppose is true of much of the bible) and they are pretty and popular (and lets be real I have some unfortunate trouble liking popular things).

But even as I type this I am reminded of the things I learned from Lewis' Reflections on the Psalms and from Dr. Judge's class and I have to say there is a lot of good there (funny how that happens in the bible).

No comments: